2016 Harley-Davidson® V-ROD MUSCLE
Stock Image: Black Denim
It sends massive horsepower and low-end torque directly to your adrenal gland when you unleash the engine. The V-Rod Muscle® motorcycle doesn't stutter when it makes its statement.
- There’s a quarter-mile of asphalt in its family tree: It took dragsters, superbikes, maybe even a little board track inspiration from deep in our racing heritage to bring together the motorcycle you see here. A liquid-cooled 60° V-twin engine ready to breathe a little fire onto the street where you live. A fat rear tire and styling details that scream American muscle. Some worry about the corrupting influence of absolute power. We say hit the gas and give it a try.
- Authentic Styling: Take a good, long look at a V-Rod motorcycle. Massive rear tire. Low, aggressive profile. Dragstrip-inspired handlebar. If you have a hard time figuring out where the performance leaves off and pure style begins, you’ve got the right idea. The V-Rod family was our first line of liquid-cooled motorcycles, and when we experienced the explosive power of the Revolution engine we knew we had something very good on our hands. So we went deep into our racing heritage for the fire-breathing looks. The big 240mm rear tire enhances the dragster styling. It’s also the only way you’re going to harness all the off-the-line power. The pipes are a big part of the performance equation. They’re also proof that a performance exhaust doesn’t need to look like it’s welded out of coffee cans. Notice how even the radiator is styled to become part of the design instead of an interruption to the flow of the eye. Speed bumps, even of the visual variety, are not allowed.
- Iconic Engine: Like everything on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, there’s a story behind the 1250cc Revolution engine powering the bikes in our V-Rod series. This one starts on the racetrack, with the company’s VR1000 superbike engine. Watching it roar around the track got the gears turning on a way to bring the same sort of high-end performance to the street. So the story takes us to Germany, and a unique collaboration with legendary automaker Porsche and their world-renowned team of engineers. The final result? Dual overhead cams. Four-valve heads. Liquid cooling. A velvety smooth delivery of power all the way up to redline. In short, the industry’s most perfect blend of torque and horsepower in a revolutionary high-revving V-Twin design. There couldn’t be anything more uniquely Harley-Davidson than that.
- Technology: A machine like a V-Rod motorcycle doesn’t happen without putting massive amounts of technology into the effort. As you might guess, we do it our own way. The Revolution engine itself is not only a marvel of modern engineering and metallurgy, but of grueling performance tests. That’s how it delivers the ironclad durability and low-maintenance worthy of a Harley-Davidson V-Twin. The performance Brembo brakes also include an Anti-Locking (ABS) system. But we stylized the sensor, so you see the clean lines of the bike. With all that comes with a V-Rod motorcycle, you may want to take technology even further and add the optional H-D Smart Security System. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and it arms and disarms the electronic security system automatically. One more example of the attention to detail that makes Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Handling: With all the power exploding out of the Revolution engine you expect a long list of enhanced handling features. And that’s what you get. It starts at the front end of your V-Rod motorcycle, with inverted forks. This is a racetrack inspired design that reduces the unsprung weight of the bike and keeps turning tight and responsive. Scrubbing off speed comes courtesy of high-performance Brembo brakes. For added good measure, you also get an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) that helps reduce the chance of wheel lock-up. Also taken from the racetracks of the world, a "slipper" clutch that provides smoother high-power handling in turns and during downshifts. Connecting you to the pavement is a set of Michelin Scorcher™ tires. If you know your rubber, you know that means you’re riding on the latest generation of compounds, plus an exclusive deep-cut tread design that improves grip and water evacuation capability. In other words, everything you’d expect on a race-bred bike.
- Comfort: Riding a performance machine is all about confidence and control. They come a lot easier when you’re comfortable in the seat of your machine. That’s why we’ve made the feeling of being astride a V-Rod motorcycle unlike anything most riders have ever experienced. The seat itself is a deep bucket design, derived from what we’ve learned keeping riders glued to their machines at the blinding speeds of the racetrack. We set the seat low, which further adds to the feeling of certainty and control whether you’re throttling up or slowing things down. The handlebars and rider foot pegs are placed so you ride low and mean, but with the controls close and comfortably in reach. Whether you’re aiming for the quarter mile mark or a fast road out of town, you can kick back into an easy riding posture for the ultimate power cruise.
- Fat Rear Tire: Behold the ultra-fat, 240mm rear tire for a powerful, no-nonsense look and added grip. Harnessing explosive, off-the-line power, the rear tire on the V-Rod Muscle® motorcycle enhances the pure dragster look with the sticky, high-performance tread you need for staying glued to the pavement.
- Inverted Forks: Race-inspired, 43mm inverted forks help reduce unsprung weight and increase strength and rigidity of the assembly. They add to the wide look that flows all the way through to the tail of the V-Rod Muscle® motorcycle. Strong and sporty—the front end is a testament to the dominating look of a modern muscle car.
- Air Box Cover: Matching the color and angular design of the V-Rod Muscle® model bodywork, the airbox cover incorporates side scoops covered with woven wire mesh for a meaty, powerful race bike look. You can't help but think about the Detroit muscle cars from back in the day.
- Mirror Turn Signals: Adding to the clean, streamlined design of the V-Rod Muscle® model are the front LED turn signals. Integrated into the stems of the mirrors, these bright functional indicators are smartly combined with the mirrors to help shore up the front end for a clean, custom look.
- LED Stop-Turn-Tail Lights: Bright, highly visible LED lights in combined stop-tail-turn signals are integrated into the rear fender of the V-Rod Muscle® model. Hugging and accentuating the massive rear tire, the design of the combination lights match other angular shapes of the bodywork for an impressive, consistent look from wheel to wheel.
- Drag-style Handle Bars with Instrument Cluster: Take to the streets in an aggressive power cruising position. With its aluminum shell cast over steel 1-inch tubing and internally-routed wiring, this angular drag-inspired bar comes on strong with a clean, mean and meaty attitude. The attached triple gauge cluster—bold, sleek and easy-to-read mph, rpm and fuel gauges is our distinct take on custom performance.
- Dual Exhaust with Satin Chrome Finish: The V-Rod Muscle® motorcycle proves that a performance exhaust can still be a beautiful set of pipes. Satin chrome, dual side exhaust with fat turnout mufflers combines the style of a muscle car with top-of-the-line Harley-Davidson performance at every twist of the throttle. Jetting out past the rear axle, these dominating pipes add to the fierce, beefy look of the bike.
- Revolution® Engine Innovation: Through a partnership with legendary automaker Porsche and their world-renowned team of engineers, Harley-Davidson created a revolutionary engine. The final result was something uniquely Harley-Davidson, the industry's most perfect blend of torque and horsepower in the high revving V-Twin Revolution® engine. Fuel injection. Dual overhead cams. Liquid cooled. 122 horses. Massive, brute power behind pure Harley-Davidson innovation.
- Revolution® Engine: From the Strip to the Street. Harley-Davidson has a passion for performance that is rooted in decades of racing and winning championships. So when The Motor Company set out to produce a high-powered, liquid-cooled engine, it began with the VR1000 superbike engine. Its performance is inspired by American-style big, powerful torque coupled with high-end horsepower. The Revolution® engine is the heart of a machine that attracts a new breed of riders who are fascinated by the heritage and mystique of Harley-Davidson and the power of a high-end street performance motorcycle.
- Pure Harley-Davidson Styling: Feast your eyes on the Revolution® engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. The unique, platinum finished Revolution® engine features polished cylinder heads and rocker covers for a one-of-a-kind look, while the machined cooling fin tips give it a stripped down metal finish. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the Revolution® engine makes an ironclad statement about holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies the rider.
- H-D® Smart Security System (Optional): The factory-installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle's electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to detail and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Assist & Slip Clutch: Taken from the racetrack to the world of custom. The V-Rod Muscle® motorcycle features a Assist & Slip clutch that provides smoother, high-power handling in turns or whenever you downshift. By reducing clutch friction, the slipper clutch helps keep your rear wheel at a controlled clip.
- Brembo® Brakes with ABS: Increased confidence. Control. High-performance Brembo® dual-disc brakes offer consistent stopping power at every leg of your journey. Plus, the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) helps reduce the chance of wheel lock-up if you need to brake suddenly. And since we stylized the speed sensor, the bike maintains its clean, slick look. Performance without sacrificing style. That's what The Motor Company is all about.
- Forward-Mount Controls: With the custom forward-mount controls on the V-Rod Muscle® model, you can kick back a little and stretch your legs for the ultimate power cruise through town or across the state line. It's time to take in the open road the way you were meant to—on a two-wheeled machine that's built to outmuscle the rest.
- Length: 94.9 in. (2,410 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 25.6 in. (650 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 27.8 in. (705 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.1 in. (105 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 34
- Trail: 5.6 in. (142 mm)
- Wheelbase: 67 in. (1,702mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: 120/70ZR-19 60W
- Tires, Rear Specification: 240/40R-18 79V
- Fuel Capacity: 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 5 qt. (4.7 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 640 lb. (290 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 673 lb. (305 kg)
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, Revolution®, 60° V-Twin
- Bore: 4.13 in. (105 mm)
- Stroke: 2.835 in. (72 mm)
- Displacement: 76.1 cu in (1,247 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Gear, 64/117 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 11.752
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 7.897
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 6.322
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 5.459
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 4.899
- Exhaust: Satin chrome, dual side exhaust system with turnouts
- Wheels, Front Type: Black, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black, 5-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Brakes, Caliper Type: 4-piston front and rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 87 ft-lb (118 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 6,750
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 32
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 32
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy: 37 mpg (6.3 l/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, security system (optional), coolant temperature, low fuel warnings
- Gauges: Electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock on odometer, dual tripmeter, fuel gauge with low fuel warning light and countdown feature, low oil pressure indicator light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights, tachometer
NOTES:Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2. Fuel Economy estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary. Engine torque values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region. Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country. Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region. North America security system includes immobilizer; outside North America the security system includes immobilizer and siren. Seat Height measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
- Engine Type
- Revolution®, 60 deg. V-Twin
- 76.1 cu in. (1,247 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 4.13 in. (105 mm) x 2.835 in. (72 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- Rear Brakes
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR-19 60W
- Rear Tire
- 240/40R-18 79V
- 67 in. (1,702mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 25.6 in. (650 mm); Unladen: 27.8 in. (705 mm)
- 34 deg.
- 5.6 in. (142 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 5 gal. (18.9 L)
- 37 mpg (6.3 l/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 640 lb. (290 kg)
- Black Denim